Press Register wins top advertising awardsBy SPECIAL TO THE PRESS REGISTER,
How do you know if you have a good ad?
It’s simple: People in the restaurant business know good food, bankers know good banks and newspapers know good advertising.
Your Clarksdale Press Register won 18 advertising awards including seven first place awards and the coveted General Excellence award this past weekend at the Mississippi Press Association Advertising Award contest in Jackson.
“I am repeatedly surprised at the creativity and professionalism of our very small staff,” said Floyd Ingram, Editor and Publisher of the Clarksdale Press Register. “Our staff sells a top quality product that is recognized by our peers and, more importantly, drives customers to the clients we serve.”
The ads judged last week came from advertisements that ran in 2019 and covered a variety of categories from retail and restaurants to special sections and institutions in our community.
A total of 1,203 ads were entered in this year’s contest from newspapers across the state.
“Our Advertising Manager Brenda Keller and Graphics Designer Tracey Hankins-Riley know this community and know this market,” said Ingram. “They know how to design a specific ad that appeals to the customer and get results. I think the comments of the judges about our first place awards reflect that.”
The Mississippi Press Association 2019 Newspaper Advertising Contest was judged by member newspapers of the Kansas Press Association.
Categories were basically broken down into daily and weekly newspapers with weeklies further broken down by circulation size, unless noted as All Weeklies.
Awards earned by your Clarksdale Press Register are:
• General Advertising Excellence: 1st (This award is based on a review of all ads submitted and adherence to proven advertising concepts.)
• Retail Ad – Color: 1st (Delta Furniture) Judges Comments: “Message and information are very clear in a very attractive ad.”
• Grocery/Restaurant – B&W, All Weeklies: 1st (Ranchero Restaurant), Judges Comments: “We love the way this ad was framed with the flowers at the top and bottom and the silverware on the sides. I’m sure it had more than a few Moms wanting to go to lunch on her special day.”
• Advertising Special Sections – Newsprint: 1st (Graduation 2019), Judges Comments: “Interesting information, nice to read.”
• Series of Ads: 1st (Chamber Friday on the Stage), Judges Comments: “Great use of color! Information is very well delivered.”
• Institutional/Financial/Service, All Weeklies: – 1st (City of Clarksdale), Judges Comments: “This ad provides all the elements an ad should have. Creates awareness, provides benefits and a call to action. It is visually clean and information flows well.”
• Editorial Special Section- Newsprint: 1st (Women in Business)
• Editorial Special Section - Glossy:1st (Fall 2018 Coahoma Living)
• Institutional Ad B&W, All Weeklies: (Carnegie Library)
• Grocery/Restaurant - Color: (Ground Zero)
• Editorial Special Section - Newsprint: (Football Preview)
• Editorial Special Section - Glossy: (Summer 2019 Coahoma Living)
• Advertising Special Sections – Newsprint: (Greeting & Santa Letters 2018)
• Retail Ad – Color: (Shankerman’s)
• Service – Color: (State Farm)
• Grocery/Restaurant - Color: (Hooker Grocery)
• Small Space Ad: (Planters Air Service)
• Advertising Special Sections – Newsprint: (Voters Guide 2019)