U.S. Representative Bennie Thompson has announced the awarding of $9.14 million in grants to 21 airports in the Second Congressional District.
The funding is part of Washington’s massive economic stimulus package due to the COVID-19 public health emergency.
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) awards are made available directly from the U.S. Treasury and were funded in the recently enacted Coronavirus Aid Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act.
Area communities receiving funds, airports and amounts to be disbursed are:
• Batesville, Panola County, $30,000.
• Charleston, Charleston Municipal, $1,000.
• Clarksdale, Fletcher Field, $30,000.
• Cleveland, Cleveland Municipal, $30,000
• Greenville, Greenville Mid-Delta, $69,000.
• Indianola, Indianola Municipal, $30,000.
• Drew, Ruleville/Drew, $20,000.
• Tunica, Tunica Municipal, $69,000.
U.S. Secretary of Transportation Elaine L. Chao announced the grants were part of the FAA’s award of $34.8 million to 73 airports in Mississippi to help respond to the COVID-19 public health emergency.
This funding will support continuing operations and replace lost revenue resulting from the sharp decline in passenger traffic and other airport business due to the COVID-19 public health emergency. The funds are available for airport capital expenditures, airport operating expenses including payroll and utilities, and airport debt payments.