The Coahoma County Board of Supervisors has rehired all county department heads following a review of each position.
Supervisors unanimously voted 4-0 to rehire administrators of eight county agencies or departments with Dist. 5 Supervisor Roosevelt Lee absent from last week’s meeting.
“We wanted a review of departments and also all the contracts we have with different agencies and businesss,” said Dist. 4 Supervisor and Board President Johnny Newson. “The department heads were basically hired for a four year term but every county employee serves at the pleasure of the board.”
Supervisors traditionally rehire department head all county employees and renew contracts at their first board meeting in January. Following elections in August a new board was seated and Newson was elected president at that meeting. Newson then asked for a review of all contracts and department heads.
At last week’s meeting administrators each stood before the board and explained their job, their departments, their budgets and their needs.
Department heads reappointed last week were:
• Morgan Wood – County Administrator.
• Darlean Lake – Justice Court Clerk.
• Jerry Mills – County Fire Chief.
• Johnny Tarzi – Emergency Management.
• Gary Ivy – Buildings and Grounds.
• Kendric Travis – Youth Outreach Director.
• Otis Griffin – Road Manager.
• Ken Weiland – State Aid Engineer and County Engineer.