It is said a community gets the kind of newspaper it deserves, and Clarksdale deserves the best!
The Clarksdale Press Register earned six First Place awards, two Second Place awards and seven Third Place awards in the 2020 Mississippi Press Association Better Newspaper Contest this past week.
“Clarksdale truly is the Delta’s rising star and there are incredible stories happening around here every day,” said Floyd Ingram, Press Register Editor and Publisher. “Your Clarksdale Press Register has a long history and rich heritage of reporting the news people use to make this community a great place to live.”
The Clarkdale Press Register won the coveted General Excellence award in 2019 and earned a Third Place finish this year.
“The competition for General Excellence is always stiff,” said Ingram. “I would like to point out First Place went to the Sun Sentinel in Charleston and Second Place went to The Conservative of Carroll County. Both of those, like the Clarksdale Press Register, are part of the Emmerich Newspaper family of 24 papers in this state.”
Ingram also pointed to the First Place awards for its Coahoma Living Magazines as well as for columns and editorials that went on its Opinion Page.
The following awards are grouped by place, name of category, writer or newspaper, the winning entry and Judge’s Note:
• Commentary Column: Floyd Ingram, “Your Turn To Speak”
• Front Page: Clarksdale Press Register, Judge’s Note: “These are very clean and professional layouts. The pages flow well and have good eye movement. They are balanced and utilize the space well.”
• Editorials: Floyd Ingram, “Voting Right, Eyes and Ears, Delta’s Rising Star” Judge’s Note: “Informative and uplifting. These three editorials give readers information about what is going on in the community and why it is important to them.”
• Magazine Periodical: Clarksdale Press Register, 2019 Summer and Fall Coahoma Living, Judge’s Note: “Great diversity of articles showing the people and places of Clarksdale Mississippi. Articles are well developed and flow well. Exceptional use of photography.”
• Game Story: Floyd Ingram, “Rain Game” Judge’s Note: “I really enjoyed the writing. While all the entries captured the play-by-play this one stands out due to its poetic flow and being interesting!”
• Business News Story: Clarksdale Press Register, “Game Changer” Judges Note: “Nice Profile.”
• Spot News: Floyd Ingram, “Captain America Arrested” Judge’s Notes: “Hilarious!”
• Commentary Column: Floyd Ingram, “It’s Budget Time Around Here”
• General Excellence: Clarksdale Press Register.
• General News: Floyd Ingram, “City Condemns Derelict Homes”
• Planned Series: Floyd Ingram, “PeopleShores Comes to Clarksdale”
• Feature Story: Josh Troy, “Paint The Town”
• Sports Pages: Josh Troy, Local stories and photos.
• Magazine Story: Floyd Ingram, “Kathryns: Delightful Delta Dining”
• Lede (first paragraph of a story): Floyd Ingram, “County Plans Next Step For Hospital”