Do you realize we are a fifth of the way through the 21st Century?
My, how time flies when you are having fun!
As most who visit with me here each week know, I am the eternal optimist.
I don’t want to get into religion, how I was raised or my glorious life married to the former Sara Reid, but I do believe things will get better.
Part of that philosophy stems from the fact I work hard to make things better.
A look ahead
• The sun came up this morning. I’m not a big one on predictions, but I believe it will come up tomorrow. If it doesn’t we will have a complete story in next week’s Clarksdale Press Register.
• Speaking of predictions, last week I said 2021 would be the year law enforcement started putting crooks back in jail. And the county opened their new Justice Center on Tuesday.
It has rooms for 143 and there are currently 38 inmates in the old jail.
Ok you bad boys, Santa Claus and Sheriff Charles Jones are watching you!
• It looks like Republicans have lost the Georgia’s Senate race – and we are back to not knowing the winner on the day after the election.
I’ve only been covering election for about 35 years, but I don’t remember these consistent vote counting problems in the past. But have faith, America has been doing this for more than 200 years. We’ll figure it out.
• I was part of a conversation this week were someone named three businesses that closed shop after the first of the year. They are not high profile retail businesses or factories and they don’t employ more than five people each, but they are the livelihood of some good people and good employees in this town.
• The Federal Reserve said Mississippi’s labor force was 54-percent employed in November. It’s time we get back to work. I hope people look at today’s newspaper and see there are jobs available for those who have skills, want to work and will show up every day on time. Yes, 2021 will be the year we get back to work.
• The vaccine is here. Please read Josh Troy’s story on Page One of today’s Clarksdale Press Register. No, we don’t have all the answers because the people running the show don’t have all the answers. This is my first time, too!
I will ask you get informed, think about the vaccine and determine now if you are or are not going to take the shot. If you don’t want it, there are people around here who do.
The 2021 Clarksdale City Election is now officially upon us. Some have been campaigning since 2016 and some have just thrown their hat into the ring.
Let me set some ground rules for 2021 and beyond.
We will listen – and check into – your news tip about the corruption and rampant problems in Clarksdale, but that is no guarantee we will do a story. Your Clarksdale Press Register is wiser than that and will not be used by anybody.
We will be polite when you call and ask for a photo and be polite when we show up and there is a candidate smiling for the picture, but that is not a guarantee we will run the photo. Your Clarksdale Press Register seeks to be fair to all and will not be used by anybody.
We will shine the light where we feel it is needed and we will call out those who slander, lie and try to manipulate voters in this community. You see, your Clarksdale Press Register has been here for more than 150 years and is looking forward to another 150 more, and will not be used by anybody.
Floyd Ingram is Editor and Publisher of your Clarksdale Press Register. Call him at 622-627-2201, he’ll talk to anybody.