An instructor at Kirkpatrick Elementary School was recognized Thursday as the 2018 teacher of the year for the Clarksdale Municipal School District
“This is one of my favorite board meeting events, where the teachers of our children are recognized for their outstanding efforts,” said H. Clay “Sandy” Stillions, president of the board of trustees for the Clarksdale Municipal School District.
Mary Kate Hinshaw, of Kirkpatrick Elementary School, was honored as the CMSD Teacher of the Year.
Teachers of the Year for each of the district’s schools were: Fanchon Freeman, Booker T. Washington Elementary; Glenda Ross, George H. Oliver Elementary; Angela Burden, Heidelberg Elementary; Mary Kate Hinshaw, Kirkpatrick Elementary; Kelaiah Tyler-Stringer, Oakhurst Intermediate Academy; Birley Gipson, JW Stampley Academy; Patricia Seals, WA Higgins Middle School; Sarah Brown, Carl Keen Vocational Technical Center; and Sharon James, Clarksdale High School.
Suzanne Walton, principal of Kirkpatrick Elementary, was recognized as the CMSD Administrator of the Year.
Each person received a plaque, in addition to congratulations from the board, during the board’s monthly meeting held Thursday night at the Central Office complex at 526 S. Choctaw Ave.
In other news from Thursday’s meeting, the board:
* Heard from Clarksdale resident Michael Jacobs, who asked that the athletic fieldhouse at the new football stadium be named in honor of former Clarksdale head football coach and longtime educator Ronald “Hoss” Bennett.
Jacobs had appeared before the board previously to ask the board to name the stadium in honor of former CMSD Superintendent Bob Ellard and the field in honor of former CHS Head Coach Jesse Murphree.
Stillions thanked Jacobs for his suggestions and assured him that his request will receive consideration.
* Approved all consent items without discussion. Among the items listed were:
* the purchase of laptops and equipment from StrictlyTech for the Carl Keen Votech Center at a cost of $18,621.46;
* approval of Greenhouse Education Consulting at J.W. Stampley Academy for science at a cost of $22,000 to be paid from Title 1 funds;
* approval of Mu Alpha Theta Consulting LLC at Clarksdale High School for mathematics at a cost of $33,000 to be paid with Title II funding;
* approval of Clinton Metcalf ELL Consultant for ELL services for a term of 45 days at $533.33 per day for a total of $24,000 to be paid with Title V funding;
* approval of Shepard Education Group LLC at Higgins Middle School for professional services for 20 days at $1,100 per day for a total of $22,000, to be paid from Title I funding;
* and approval of Javette White for dance and arts integration for 42 days at $500 per day for a total of $21,000, to be paid from Title V Funding.
* Approved all personnel recommendations and paid claims totaling $283,480.88.
* Went into executive session to discuss two student matters.